Running SWREMOTE in multiple windows sessions

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Davieboy

Running SWREMOTE in multiple windows sessions

Post by Davieboy »

Am curious does the built in swremote work in multiple windows sessions on the same machine or does it create conflicts?
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

It can be done.
You will need to define several software remotes, and call each from the command line with the 'name' parameter.
Davieboy

Post by Davieboy »

I understand. Having the same remote duplicated but with different names removes the conflict from using the same ip. Cool. I imagine this can get intensive on the system if using lots of fancy graphics etc. Do you have any personal experience yourself on the issue Yaccri
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

I have connected two touch screens to the PC that runs the HB server.

You will need to take care of some issues:
- If you buy touch screens, make sure that their driver supports extended desktop! you will need to define it when you install the screens.
- You will need to position the remotes on the screens.

After the initial setup, it has been running with no issues.

You may want to write a small batch file to load the remotes on the right XY position.
PM me if you need a sample.
Davieboy

Post by Davieboy »

Just curious as to why u would have to use the extended desktop feature when the screens are going to log in as seperate accounts? I've come across a product that allows this feature using both hardware in the server and thin client screens. From what I know windows xp can run 10 simultaneous accounts and to exceed that u need windows server right?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I also have a touchscreen connected to my HB Server and that same PC has a dual head vcard. The primary head is connected to the Touchscreen (VGA / XGA) and the secondary head is connected to a plasma (DVI / WXGA). It is possible to connect two video inputs to the touchscreen. 1 VGA and 1 DVI. So lets say I would split my DVI signal and 1 would go to the plasma and the other would go to the touchscreen. Then the touchscreen would be primarily connected to the VGA (Head 1) output and secondary to the DVI output of the vcard. Now here is your issue: The touchscreen part will only work on the primary head and NOT on the secondary head. So when displaying your secondary head on the touchscreen, pressing it would control the stuff displayed on the primary head which you cannot see at that moment. So if you buy two touchscreens (1 connected to head 1 and 1 connected to head 2), make sure that your secondary touchscreen also controls the mouse on the secondary screen. Hope that makes sense...
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

why u would have to use the extended desktop feature
You need to extend the mouse area.
When using multiple touch screens, you will want the touch area to be extended, and not only the display area. If you don't define the mouse area as extended, touching screens 2,3... will click only the first screens' area.