How to wake Windows from power down modes?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jkish

How to wake Windows from power down modes?

Post by jkish »

I'm putting together a 10 ft interface to a HA system using HouseBot and have run into a problem waking Windows from powered down states.

I would like to be able to keep the power management systems operational so conserve energy, but I need to wake the system when I switch one of the displays to the HA system. Anybody know how to indicate to Windows that there is "activity" in the system.

-John
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

I'm drawing a blank on this one too.

The only way that *might* be possible would be to use a technology called Wake-On-LAN. This involves waking/booting a PC from a special command sent to it's network interface. How'd you go about actually doing that in an HA environment... I have no idea. (Without tinkering of course. ;)

Tim
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

I think WOL will work if the box is powered down- so hibernate, etc would come up. But I'm not sure about just sleeping. I did see a few programs here that looked promising-

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/wake-up.htm

I had WOL working to have one of my touch screen computers wake up the HB server (soft power button) on power outages, but it isn't working right anymore.
jkish

Post by jkish »

I done a bit of searching and see that there is a USB wakeup ability on some machines - I think it can be enabled through the BIOS.

This would be nice since I'm using a USBUIRT for remote control input and a wakeup from using the remote would be perfect.

I'll have to poke around on my machine to see if I can find a hook.