Error 10054

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Error 10054

Post by Steve Horn »

I've got one HB sw remote that operates via Wifi. It seems to be causing a lot of "Error 10054" errors on the HB server. Several questions: Does the receipt of these errors slow down response (due to polling delay maybe) to other remotes? And in general, do the number of sw remotes "up" affect response time to any one remote? Since 3.x, it seems that my response time to requests (button clicks to send IR commands for example) has degraded. I shut down the wifi remote and that seemed to help the wired one in the theater, but there still was some delay encountered after the message was sent to the HB server. (I could "see" when the command was sent out the remote via the LAN idiot light.)
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Error 10054

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:...lot of "Error 10054" errors on the HB server. Several questions: Does the receipt of these errors slow down response (due to polling delay maybe) to other remotes?
It could. When sending a notification to all remotes, it will run through the list sequentially and send the request. Typically this is very fast, since the network messages are very short and fast. However, if there is a problem sending to one of the remotes, the OS will block for a timeout period before returning the error and allowing the server to run through the rest of of the list.
And in general, do the number of sw remotes "up" affect response time to any one remote?
No, it shouldn't. Each remote has it's own socket/thread to the server. When a message from that remote is received, it is just handled as though it was the only remote. Only if in response to the action that the server needs to notify all other remotes would there be any difference. Then it's prone to the logic I explained above.
Since 3.x, it seems that my response time to requests (button clicks to send IR commands for example) has degraded.
There was only one thing added in V3 in the area of the SWRemote API, and it SHOULD make things faster and not slower. Older versions would send a series of messages (one for each Device/Property that there was control for on the panel) each time a panel was opened or closed. This is now done in a single message for all device/properties. Other than making things faster, I don't see how this could be causing the problem.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks, that helps me understand what's going on under the covers. Related... or not.. I've noticed that when starting a SW remote that the messages ALWAYS say that a new theme file is being received, even when no changes have been made to the file. Do I understand that correctly?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:I've noticed that when starting a SW remote that the messages ALWAYS say that a new theme file is being received, even when no changes have been made to the file. Do I understand that correctly?
That's been reported before, but I'm not sure I understand why. There is new code in V3 for better determining if a new theme file download is needed. Are you running the V3 SWRemote?
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Yes, running the V3 remote. I can't swear that the theme is actually being sent; just that I see the message. Really no big deal, at least in my case; the theme file is relatively small, so loading is quick, except on some of my older dumber tablet PCs.
Steve
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

I know this is off-topic, but I too get a new theme download each time the swremote connects. This is the case with both my wife's and my Cingular/ATT 8525 phones. We're both running the latest 3.0 code.

Terry