Can i control my onkyo receiver......

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

O.k. With media center on via the extender, we get a whole different story in the Device Spy.... I've attached a screen shot below....
Attachments
DeviceSpyConnected.jpg
DeviceSpyConnected.jpg (379.82 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Thats kinda odd. How 'bout if Vista and MC are available (i.e., no streaming going on via Xbox) and the Xbox is on. Now what do you see?

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Here, there is no streaming going on. The xbox is on and connected to media center. The first set of screenshots shows the xbox on and not connected to media center. To be clear, when the xbox is connected to media center, i normally don't see anything different on my vista machine. In other words, i can use the computer normally while media center pushes content to the xbox extender. I'm not sure what else i can do...

What i have done so far:

1.) Xbox on and just at the xbox regular menu - no streaming
2.) Xbox on and connected to media center via xbox menu option- no streaming

Your above request seems to match the conditions of no 1??
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Hmm...I'm not seeing an obvious solution here. Transport control is not exposed in any of the UPnP methods of the Xbox.

Do me a favor and expand MAINCOMPUTER that is showing up as a UPnP device. Perhaps taking control of Media Center on the Vista machine is the way to go.

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

o.k I'll do that when i get home this afternoon.....
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

O.K. Here's the maincomputer device expanded.....
Attachments
Maincomputer_Expanded.jpg
Maincomputer_Expanded.jpg (406.03 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I get this if vista has media center running on the desktop:
Attachments
Maincomputer_Expanded_vista_running1.jpg
Maincomputer_Expanded_vista_running1.jpg (318.33 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Maincomputer_Expanded_vista_running2.jpg
Maincomputer_Expanded_vista_running2.jpg (426.81 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

This will be a bit more difficult than I thought. I think all the XBox is doing is allowing you to use the Browse function of mediacenter to see the available tracks and when you select one it passes it to the xbox. I take it you can't build a queue from the xbox screen...but could build a playlist in media center and pass that to the xbox.

Double click on "Advertise", "Nonce", and "Inhibit" and see what happens when you invoke those actions.

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I try but all i get is unable to connect to device. I think that it's probably time for me to look into something else. It doesn't look like MS left anything exposed to interact with on the extender. I think what i'm going to have to do is run some a/v cable from this machine to my Onkyo and then just control the playlists etc; from wmp. Thanks for all of your help with this though. It's been a real eye opener.