ContextID: Help Needed

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

ContextID: Help Needed

Post by Osler »

Scott:

ContextID works well for going from panel A to panel B (e.g., going from a page for music zone selection to a now playing panel for that zone). However, keeping the context as you drill further into the theme structure (e.g., going from the now playing panel for that zone to the queue panel for the zone) is not entirely clear to me. How can I use a panel open button from a contexted panel to open another panel within the same context. Perhaps what I want to do isn't possible....but at the moment it appears I can have 1 now playing panel to take care of all the zones via context, but would have to have a queue panel for each zone.

Also, regardless of the above limitation, it would be nice to be able to set the contextID at the level of the panel instead of the panel change button. In addition, the user should be able to set multiple potential contextID's on the panel instead of one as it is now on the panel open button. All controls on the panel would inherit the contextID list. This would allow for the panel open button used to open the panel to have its context set via a device.property. Conceivably, you could use a list control with a single panel open button to open inumerable panels this way. The list control would set the panel open button context and then, when pressed, the appropriately contexted panel would open. Don't know if this is possible but it would increase the dynamic nature of contexted panels.

Osler
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: ContextID: Help Needed

Post by ScottBot »

Osler wrote:...How can I use a panel open button from a contexted panel to open another panel within the same context. Perhaps what I want to do isn't possible....
The context names only pass from button to panel, so there's no way to propagate them to another level. It's really simple/dumb stuff.
it would be nice to be able to set the contextID at the level of the panel instead of the panel change button.
If you're setting it at the panel level, it's really just the panel name (basically), so it's not really dynamic.
In addition, the user should be able to set multiple potential contextID's on the panel instead of one as it is now on the panel open button. All controls on the panel would inherit the contextID list. This would allow for the panel open button used to open the panel to have its context set via a device.property. Conceivably, you could use a list control with a single panel open button to open inumerable panels this way. The list control would set the panel open button context and then, when pressed, the appropriately contexted panel would open. Don't know if this is possible but it would increase the dynamic nature of contexted panels.
You've got several good ideas here, and I'm wondering if there is a way to address them all with a single solution. I kinda like the idea of setting the panel context ID with a property in addition to the panel change button method. I'm not sure if this solves anything for the multiple level example (at least not without a bit of scripting).
Scott
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Nope...doesn't fix the multi-level problem but it would still be a very cool feature to have.

I am trying to avoid using scripting to manipulate the theme due to the global nature of the commands sent. This is workable, though.

On another note, would it be possible to have a control that mimics the picture box control in visual studio. This would allow you to have an area that is larger than the screen size to fill with graphical type controls with a scrollbar at the right to move up and down within the window....a poor mans list control for images if you will. I know it would be static....but it would be better than having to pop a new panel if your static "graphical" list exceeds the panel size.

Osler