X10 Bright/Dim

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
roussell
Advanced Member

X10 Bright/Dim

Post by roussell »

I read in the help file that the X10 Lamp Module device does not support the X10 Bright & Dim commands, only the Leviton dim and the X10 preset dim.

I've got about 15 X10 Lamp modules that I would like to use for Christmas lights and such and would like to use the dimming capabilities of them. They do not see to support either the Leviton or preset dim commands. Does this mean I'm out of luck and there no way to send an X10 dim/bright command?

Terry
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Can't you just tell HB that it is a wall switch?
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

I've tried using the CM11 and Insteon HW interface. With either, my only X10 options in the HB device wizard are:

X10 Appliance Module
X10 Controller
X10 Lamp Module
X10 Transmitter

I'm using the "X10 Lamp Module" as that is the only one that seemed to have dimming capabilities.

The lamp modules do work and support dimming - I've tried them with another HA app. and they're fine. I just can't get HB to dim them...

Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Have you tried just entering Dim;5 or Bright;5 in the Direct X10 Command property?
Scott
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

The Direct X10 Command Property is a drop-down and doesn't allow me to change the value from "Dim;n" or "Bright;n".

If I try to override it, then I get an error dialog that says: "You must select a value from the list"

If I add a property change button on a swremote and manually type in "Dim;5" in the "New Value" field for the button; nothing happens (no change in the Direct X10 Command Property) when the button is pressed.

Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

roussell wrote:The Direct X10 Command Property is a drop-down and doesn't allow me to change the value from "Dim;n" or "Bright;n".
If you click on the property name it will bring you to a screen where you can enter anything you want for the property (in the Value edit field). So enter Bright;5 (if it is off) and see if it changes.
Scott
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Entering Bright;5 (or Bright;'anything' for that mater) will turn on the lamp module at 100% brightness if it is off. Entering Dim;'anything' has the same effect of turning on the lamp module at 100% if off. If the lamp module is on, the bright and dim commands have no effect on the condition (it stays at 100%).

I've tried it with several lamp modules and there is no change in behavior. I also just tried it with an X10 in-wall dimmer switch and observed the same behavior. There also seems to be no difference between using a CM11A or and Insteon PLC Hardware device.

Terry
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Huh. . . I can dim my X-10 wall switches just fine- I turn them ON, then send multiple DIM commands. I don't use the preset levels with them. I DO use preset levels with Insteon switches though- that also works. I haven't tried with a Lamp module.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Yea, I'm not sure either. I tested it with my CM11A and it seems to dim and bright ok.

Are there any error messages?
Scott
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

No, no error messages at all. It's really strange, I spent some time last night deleting the CM11 HW interface, all the associated devices, restarted the HB computer and recreated everything. Same scenario - on/off works but no dim. The only thing I haven't tried is a re-install of HB, maybe tonight I'll try a trial install on a different box to see if that makes a difference.

Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I kinda doubt that re-installing it will help. Since it IS controlling the power state of the X10 device, it means that the plugin and CM11 are functional. There hasn't really been any changes in that code for a long while, so you are sure to have the latest (unless you're running a really old version of HB).

Maybe run a Hardware Interface trace on the CM11. Maybe that may give us some clues. Also, if you happen to have an X10 signal analyzer, it would be very interesting to see if the Dims are actually making it to the power line or not.
Scott
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Strange, I just upgraded to 3.02 (thanks BTW) and the X10 problem is gone. I can brighten and dim now... I don't know if anything changed that could affect it, or if it was just the reload that did the trick. At any rate, it's working great now.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

There wasn't anything that changed (that I can think of) that would effect this. Glad it's working for you now though.
Scott