Lighting direction HB is taking

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Osler wrote:Do you already have the Vizia serial interface or do you need one of those as well? the vizia handheld control?
I have the new HomePro Z-Wave USB&Serial controllers as well as the little Intermatic USB stick (HA22). I don't have the Vizia one... yet. If you'd like to send me one, I'll add it to the list and send it back when finished.
Scott
JonFo

Post by JonFo »

ScottBot wrote:
JonFo wrote:Cool, will that include bi-directional thermostat control?
Not sure yet. I definitely want to get the new (new to HouseBot anyway) association stuff working so you can get notifications without polling for devices that support it.

I would also like to include support for thermostats and other equipment that requires more than just on/off control, but I haven't started researching what it will take. If I actually had a Z-Wave thermostat to develop against it would help. I was thinking of getting one, because I would like to turn on the fan when watching a movie (in the summer the theater gets really warm toward the end of the movie with the doors shut). I'm thinking it may be a cheaper alternative to having the HVAC guys install a zoned system just for that.

Which Z-Wave thermostat do you have (or are you looking at?)
Hi Scott,

I was looking at the same device from SH you mentioned ( http://www.smarthome.com/1266t.html ) so that would be great.

I've yet to purchase one. But if it would help in the development, I can get one and drop it off.

I also like the Proliphix Ethernet devices, but the bummer is the wiring, as they need a CAT5 + the HVAC wiring. I’m looking for drop-in replacements at the keypad locations.
Adding more wiring back at the HVAC is no problem, but wireless is better.

And just like you, I need it for the HT as well. I want to turn on that Zone as well as one of the other to fan-only to circulate the air without having to wait until it's too hot and the AC goes on.

Even when it’s below 36 degrees outside, the AC will kick on after a few hours in the theater, as that zone will reach 77 degrees.
But with the fans on, it could take >8hrs to reach that temp and I'm saving on heating the rest of the house.
_______

Jonathan
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I don't have any Viza equipment.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

JonFo wrote:I've yet to purchase one. But if it would help in the development, I can get one and drop it off.
Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably just get one myself, since I have plans for it.
Scott