Primary Pop-up Panel??

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
James D

Primary Pop-up Panel??

Post by James D »

This might be a dumb question.

I have a pop-up label that I want to be the "primary" pop-up. Why use Pop-up panel instead of Primary? You might ask, I need to switch between the pop-up panel.

The problem i am having (under Pop-up panel) if I check the box under the Panel Change button; "Change Source Pop-up When Switching" it switch to the associated pop- up with is what the program is suppose to do.

It there a way to switch the pop-up panel instead of the pop-up panels layering themselves on a primary panel?

You say why not have a "Back to Previous Panel" Button
My answer "I just want to be difficult" LOL

Is there a reason why you can not "Change Source Pop-up When Switching" on a Primary Panel, Scott?
Attachments
POP-UP.jpg
POP-UP.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Primary Pop-up Panel??

Post by Richard Naninck »

James D wrote:This might be a dumb question.
The problem i am having (under Pop-up panel) if I check the box under the Panel Change button; "Change Source Pop-up When Switching" it switch to the associated pop- up with is what the program is suppose to do.
I am very curious where you find this check box!? I have looked in the property windows of Panel Change Buttons and Pop Up panels, but can't find such a checker anywhere.
James D wrote:It there a way to switch the pop-up panel instead of the pop-up panels layering themselves on a primary panel?
You could use Execute Task buttons and have Tasks do what you want to do. Tasks can also Pop Panels and you can close the previous pop panel. Then there is always one pop panel opened and you can change at will. This can also be done from script using the OpenRemotePanel and CloseRemotePanel. Create a script that accepts commands linked to the applicable Open and Close commands.
James D

Post by James D »

The "Change Source Pop-up When Switching" check box is on a panel change button-->under the panel change tab. It should be there if your panel change button is associated to a pop-up panel.

If it is not there you might just need to add a Panel Button and associate it to a pop-up panel. I think some of the updates do not totally update the buttons. But I could be wrong. :wink:
Richard Naninck

I see this option only when a Panel Change Button changes a primary Panel. I was looking at Panel Change Buttons that are Changing to pop Up panels.

So now I am confused. You want it to be a popup panel, but you use a primary panel?

The Close Source PopUp When Switching is supposed to close the POP panel when another Pop Panel is popped from a pop panel and not a primary panel. Hope that makes sense.
James D

Post by James D »

In short all I want to to is:

From a primary Panel open a pop-up panel (which it does), then if I pick a different button it only layers the pop-ups on the my version of HB.

Example:

On a primary type panel
I click projector button --> pop up for projector comes up.
I then click DVD button --> pop up for DVD comes up.
But
If I click the projector button again --> the pop up does not display, because it is hidding behind the DVD pop-up (since I did not clear the projector pop-up to close; so it is still up but behind the DVD pop-up).

I was trying to do this without scripts because I can very easily make all my panels primary panel type. But I like the motions of the pop-up panels. Or I could just put a previous panel change button, but I really do not want to do that.

Any ideas?
Richard Naninck

This can only be done using script or tasks. Or use the previous panel buttons, or close each pop before opening another one. If you are using the Context feature, you can only pop a panel once and before opening the same panel with a different context, you need to close it first.
Actually repopping should just put the pop on top of all others but then you might end up with all pop screen opened.
James D

Post by James D »

The problem I have with changing the pop panel with a task, is that I lose the "Context Name" associated with the button. So the "Current Context" that needs to be filled in is not. And I lose the Context association with each button, because I have to use a property change button, instead of a panel change button that I use to fill in the "Current Context" on the pop up screen. I hope this is making sense.
Richard Naninck

It makes perfect sense and then it doesn't.

It makes sense and therefore it has been feature requested to have tasks and script commands also handle context as well as the Open Panel animation and even a Close Panel animation.

It doesn't make sense because when using context I find that I can't even open the same panel twice when only context is different. So how can you have multiple panels overlaying eachother when you are using context? It should only be one panel and you can't open the same panel with different context before the previous one has been closed.

If you want to get this to work and by reading your posts, you don't mind the 'not so easy way', you can create unique panels for all your pops thus leaving the context behind and go with the proposed tasks / script actions. And yes, you will also loose the animation part if you do that.
James D

Post by James D »

Hey Richard,

Under the task, is there a way to close down all the pop-up panel if a pop-up panel is open. Something like *.* or something.
Richard Naninck

Not that I know of. Tasks and scriptcommands need the name of a panel to close. No wildcards are involved so you should keep track of what you do. If you create one or more null device properties which store the panel state, you can set the value for this or these propertie(s) in the Enter List of a panel. Depending on the set values you can have tasks or script handle all kinds of actions. I use the same logic for opening a so called 'Now Playing' Pop Panel. It should pop on almost all panels, but not on certain panels. All of the panels set a value in a property using the enter list. If a value "---" is set, then the Now Playing Pop can Open and if something else is set in the property like for instance the name of the panel, than the Now Playing Pop should not Open. Asimple task that triggers on a change of this property or a script can easily handle your pops this way. This is just to give you some ideas. HB is really nice for out of the box solutions. Just be imaginative!
Richard Naninck

Not that I know of. Tasks and scriptcommands need the name of a panel to close. No wildcards are involved so you should keep track of what you do. If you create one or more null device properties which store the panel state, you can set the value for this or these propertie(s) in the Enter List of a panel. Depending on the set values you can have tasks or script handle all kinds of actions. I use the same logic for opening a so called 'Now Playing' Pop Panel. It should pop on almost all panels, but not on certain panels. All of the panels set a value in a property using the enter list. If a value "---" is set, then the Now Playing Pop can Open and if something else is set in the property like for instance the name of the panel, than the Now Playing Pop should not Open. Asimple task that triggers on a change of this property or a script can easily handle your pops this way. This is just to give you some ideas. HB is really nice for out of the box solutions. Just be imaginative!