TV listing

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
sundodger

TV listing

Post by sundodger »

Back Again. have set up a tv listing device using just a small number of channels to test the setup. have something going wrong however.
On the software remotes list property box the channels display however the channels all have"0" beside them as (i assume) the channel id number.
needless to say this means the channels dont select properly which in turn prevents the program list from diplaying the programs.
found some old posts on a serch saying that there was a tv list theme originally but i cant find it anywere.
any help on the above appreciated.
Thanks Mark..
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: TV listing

Post by ScottBot »

There's this one..., but I can't say I remember exactly what it is.
Scott
sundodger

Post by sundodger »

thanks will take a look at it tommorrow, have done enough learning for today. will report back and let you know...
vcruz777

Post by vcruz777 »

One question. If I want to set two different listings (two different devices pointing to two different html files), can it be done? I tried to do another import of the TV Listing sample device but it doesn't work, it still creates only one HBListing file and I don't see an option to create another file with a different name. I have two different TVs and would like to have a TV Listing Theme for each one of them. I hope you were able to understand my question.

Victor
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I don't think you can have (or would want) to have multiple TV Listing Devices, since the purpose of that device is really to pull down the listing data and parse it into a database. Having multiple will be problematic, I think.

I'm not exactly sure what you would need to support multiple display lists (I guess that's what the issue really is). I'm thinking that you could probably solve it with some scripting that would allow you to keep separate display lists for each SWRemote/Theme.

Since the old XMLTV free data provider has been discontinued and the new subscription service doesn't support non-free products like HouseBot, I have pretty much dropped support of this plugin until something that legally supports HouseBot becomes available.
Scott
sundodger

Post by sundodger »

i thought the data was free? just a matter of getting it into housebot. The reason i say this is that i seem to be able to get no shortage of xmltv data and apps/grabbers around the net. missing the know how to get the data displayed in housebot however.
does anyone have this working on their system?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm not an xmltv expert, and have not really touched it in some time except for recently when I *thought* I found out that it was no longer free.

The US grabber "tv_grab_na_dd" used to use Zap2It to get the data, and it was free. Then Zap2It stopped the free service and the grabber now uses another service that I can't recall. The new service is a subscription service, and only provided to non-commercial products (not sure why that is).

Like I said, I don't know a LOT about the xmltv configuration, so maybe there's a way to point the US grabber at another data source. If you know of a way to get the listing data free, please let me know.
Scott
sundodger

Post by sundodger »

I am using the uk_rt grabber so different problems?
However if you look at the app and guides on the link below it does mention north america.
Havent played with that end of it though.

http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/wiki/in ... /Main_Page

Mark
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

xmltv supports the North America grabber, but the data is provided by "Schedules Direct" (I couldn't think of that name before). They are the pay service I was referring to. You're lucky, since the UK grabber apparently uses a free service (like the NA grabber used to).
Scott
sundodger

Post by sundodger »

its free but i still cant get it to work. i am only grabbing 9 channels. i have the data in xmltv cache folder. 1 file with all channel listings and 9 others with program data. just cant get it to display properly. it is like it is ignoring the channel id number and allocating them all 0 as channel number.
neeedless to say selecting them in a remote doesnt change the listing channel number so no change in info displayed.
has anyone got a different way to display channel listings in housebot.
its at times like this i wish i knew VBS..