Controlling two soundcards

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
wetwired

Controlling two soundcards

Post by wetwired »

I want to send different sounds to different soundcards. I have two cheap USB soundcards connected to the PC that runs Housebot server, one card drives speakers in the basement and the other the groundfloor. I want to send different sounds to these soundcards using different tasks. What is the best way to do this? Has anyone else done this?

Right now I´m am using windows "sndrec32.exe" to play sounds with the parameters "/play /close test.wav" and it works like a charm, does a player with similar commandline parameters exist that also can route the sound through different soundcards?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Controlling two soundcards

Post by ScottBot »

I use mplayer (I don't remember why I ended using that particular app)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer

You can use the -ao parameter to specify the output driver/sound-card.
Scott
wetwired

Post by wetwired »

ok! Thanks I´ll try it tonight.
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

I use winamp to do multizone audio, but it would work for this too. Don't know if it does command line, but you can do it with the HB device.
wetwired

Post by wetwired »

ScottBot: i can find the -ao parameter for selecting driver but not the soundcard, how do I do that?
markd: I looked at the winamp device but couldn´t find a property to select the soundcard to use...

thanks for the help.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

For winamp, you would have two separate instances of the winamp.exe, each instance in it's own winamp folder and each instance pointed to a different soundcard. In HB you would then create two winamp devices, one pointed to each winamp.exe.

Terry
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

and as to where in Winamp, Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/Output/Configure/Device tab, top box.

Markd
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

wetwired wrote:ScottBot: i can find the -ao parameter for selecting driver but not the soundcard, how do I do that?
I use the 'dsound' (Windows direct sound) driver which lets me select the output. My command line option for AO is

Code: Select all

-ao dsound:device=2
Scott
wetwired

Post by wetwired »

I got it to work. I went with the winamp option and can now send different sounds to different speakers, thanks for the help.