Housebot with Lutron RA2????

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Deane Johnson

Housebot with Lutron RA2????

Post by Deane Johnson »

Will Housebot interface and control Lutron RA2 lighting dimmers, etc.?
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Re: Housebot with Lutron RA2????

Post by yaccri »

Maybe I can help.
I wrote a Lutron "Homeworks" plugin.
If that's what you need, I don't mind sharing.
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

Thanks for the offer. I don't have Lutron yet, I'm trying to decide what to use, Z-Wave or possibly RA2. I'm learning.

My reason for raising this question is that if I use Housebot and it doesn't support RA2, that sort of seals the deal.

I don't even know what I would need at this point to go RA2. Dimmers of course, but how does one transmit the signal from Housebot so that the dimmers can pick it up. Is there some sort of hardware device that is necessary?

Please pardon the elementary questions, but that's where I am on it. I've got Z-Wave pretty much in focus, but would like to understand RA2 a little more.

Thanks yaccri for you response.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

I'm not familiar with RA2.
The 'Homeworks' system that I am familiar with has a Lutron CPU, which is actually a computer.
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

Thanks for your thoughts and offer yaccri. The more I read and study Lutron RA2, I am thinking it's not the best area I should get into. I should probably stick with Z-Wave.

Lutron doesn't encourage DIY with the RA2, which makes a complex system even more difficult to deal with.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

If the house is already built, search for wireless systems like zwave and plcbus.
If you are building a new house, I suggest to prefer a wired system. Such systems are more reliable.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Hey Deane,

Like you probably have, I've been reading the RA2 threads on Cocoontech and they have sparked my interest. I've always been curious about the product because it seemed like and "affordable professional" lighting system, but the lack of DIY friendliness scares me. Have you tried Insteon? I know, I know, I know about all the problems people had, especially early on but my problem have been minimal. I replaced one Keypad, but it was installed outside under the patio so it's failure (after about a year) could have been due to the elements. That has been my only problem but even X10 works at my house. I bought an older home and when it was re-wired, I tried to may it as X10 friendly as possible, since Insteon is similar tech, maybe that's why mine is stable, that wouldn't explain the single hardware problem though, maybe I just got a good batch.

I read all the negative posts about Insteon and decided to buy one of the starter kits to try anyway. I liked the Insteon product line over the others mainly because of the Keypads that zwave didn't have at the time and UPB was just too darn expensive.However, Insteon costs more now, and others have nice KPLs so that takes away some of the argument for Insteon.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into an Insteon post, just wondering if you had tried anything else. I'd suggest getting "starter kits" for maybe your top two choices, you can always sell the one you don't go with on eBay or Cocoontech. The minimal loss might be worth the piece of mind knowing that you chose correctly for your needs.

If you can find a wired system that fits in your budget as yaccri suggests, I'd definitely choose that over any PLC or wireless solution as it's the only way to get 100% reliability. I'd like to try C-BUS, but I've heard it's DIY unfriendly too.

Terry
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

Always good to read your thoughts Terry.

The house is existing. Actually, I only lease it, but I've been here 15 years and will probably be here another 15 (very favorable lease). I have permission to do anything I want with the house. Hence, hardwired is not an option.

When I built my home theater about 10 years ago, I got started into HA. I use an Ocelot which has been super reliable.

Functions it performs:

Operate home theater equipment, holding all macros, etc. Triggered by a Pronto TSU2000 remote.
lowers Hunter Douglas light filtering honeycomb blinds for sun damage control relative to sun timing
lowers Hunter Douglas EasyRise black out blinds for total darkness for front projection
controls lighting via X-10 (PCS switches)

As you can see, my needs are pretty simple. The fact that Applied Digital has all but abandoned the Ocelot series, and it's now becoming outdated, has forced me to look at changing my system. That is what has led me to HouseBot. I need to control newer things such as Insteon, UPB or Z-Wave. I'd still use the Ocelot with Housebot.

I want to get into couch tables to replace the Pronto. No interest at this time in a wall screen, but that could change. The friendliness of Housebot to portable screens is appealing. I'm waiting to see what comes out to compete with the iPad. The Toshiba looks interesting, but until it gets to market, we don't know what it will do.

When I first started, I purchased Smarthome X-10 switches and dimmers. Every time a squirrel interrupted the power momentarily, some either lost their programing or burned out. I finally sent them all to the landfill and went with PCS. No more issues.

Like most people, I found X-10 to be a pain in the butt. I have so many filters on stuff I should own the company that makes them. That made me want off the power line, which let me to Z-Wave.

Yes, I have been following the comments made on RA2, and I'm pleased that the guys have been posting their thoughts on Cocoontech. When I can't get to first base in putting it together mentally, I realize there is a reason I should probably stay out of it. I can't even figure out how one sends the RF signal from a computer to the switches.

I don't have a problem with Lutron wanting to have local dealers install the stuff. I understand it clearly. I am a full line Hunter Douglas dealer and Hunter just went that route. No more on-line sales, period. No telephone sales, no Home Depot, no Lowes, no JC Penny, only full service local dealers, which I happen to be.

Insteon has one appeal and that is plentiful product choices. Z-Wave is a little slow on the product momentum. I think Lutron might be worse, since they are a lighting company more than anything. I doubt they have any interest in going beyond lights and blinds (for light control).

I purchased a couple of the Intermatic Z-Wave starter kits and programmed one lamp module. Works nice. Then I unplugged it and put it back in the box. I also have a Z-troller, but that's about all so far. Nothing functioning and no software.

Homeseer turns me off with their cost factors. It's pay a little more for everything you want to do. My grown son has Homeseer and he's so turned off he's considering Housebot. I know CQC is a good piece of software, but the cost factor is a little high for my use, plus the CGC move to discourage DIY by raising the DIY price to match the integrator price sort of turns me away also.

So that's my story. I'm reading and learning. I wish this forum were more active, as I would be able to learn more. Cocoontech is pretty good in that regard. Both forums have some good people responding without the usual forum nonsense.

My home theater page:
http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html

Thanks for responding to my questions.

Deane
randylee01

Post by randylee01 »

Yes i remember that one since I also made a semilar like Housebot with Lutron RA2.