Interfaces...touchpanels....etc.

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
MichaelK

Interfaces...touchpanels....etc.

Post by MichaelK »

Just wondering what interfaces you all use....

What drew me to housebot is the ability to customize an interface...what im planning on doing is have the software remote resident on the same computer as the host application, and run VGA out of the computer to a remote touchpanel. I used to work within AMX systems, so I'm kinda partial to the AMX touchpanel side of things.

Im thinking about the new lillput 7" TP, it accepts Composite in and VGA in, and can come with a touchpanel. I figure I'll create a nice big interface which will run to this touchpanel, and BOOM, instant pro looking panel.

I was alos looking into some Elo or 3M touch panels, but those are around 15" and expensive, and a bit big for an endtable.....and the touchpanel overlay kits to create a touch panel aren't that atractive and dont include an enclosure.

Any insight and or ideas are helpful!

~Michael
e_patsellis

Post by e_patsellis »

Michael,

I'm using a 10.4" lcd touchpanel built into the coffee table, older pics at http://www.shelbyvilledesign.com, follow the home theater link. I'm in the middle of a redesign, seems that you figure out the little bugs after it's built... javascript:emoticon(':D') I bought a bunch of sbc's with lcds and touchpanels on ebay a while ago. My plan is to build a few for around the house, the others will be wall mounted and one in an cherry cabinet on the nightstand next to the bed. If you ever find yourself downstate, give me a call.

erie
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

I definitely will.

A friend has let me use their 15" flat touch screen, which seems to work great...since my experience is with AMX, I have designed the GUI to emulate that, and it looks and feels just like it.

I looked at your website, nice pics! What res did you do your GUI? 800 x 600? 1024 x 768? What is mounted below the table? The CPU? If not, where is your CPU located?

Do you download movies and project them...? If so, I was wondering how you incorporated the movie (file) control into Housebot.

I noticed you had a 3gun, how many lumens? Or are ya looking to (gasp) get a DLP or LCD in there? :) I may be able to help, The place im contracting for right now has close to 20 old 3 guns, and I have several outlets for DLP and LCDs.

As soon as my system is complete, Ill post pics, and perhaps even post my GUI and config for others to see. Is that OK scott?

~Michael
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

MichaelK wrote:As soon as my system is complete, Ill post pics, and perhaps even post my GUI and config for others to see. Is that OK scott?
~Michael
It's definitely ok. If you want to share your Theme Skin or sample configuration, I'll gladly host them on my side and provide links on the download page.

I really hope as HouseBot grows that more people will share their creations. I love seeing what others are doing. It's pleasantly frustrating to see others have done more with HouseBot than me. :wink:

Scott
e_patsellis

Post by e_patsellis »

the GUI is running 640 x 480(native res of the LCD), cpu is a single board computer (200 mhz pentium, win 98se) in a 4 slot backplane, recessed into the table. The plan is to use a couple of panel pc's I bought as remotes with 802.11 networking, though my wife seems to enjoy playing with them, so it's on the back burner for now. No downloaded movies, they look like crap, personally.. the projector is an Ampro 2000G, forgot the lumen rating, but the room is totally light controlled and it's plenty bright enough. I prefer CRT projectors, as nothing even comes close in the area of black level detail and film like presence. I'll be posting updated pics in the next week, the acoustical treatments and fabric on the side walls are done, soffit and ceiling are painted flat black now. I really need to buy an usb ir transmitter and get the system finished, but work has to come first....

erie