Remote Video control.....differently

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
MichaelK

Remote Video control.....differently

Post by MichaelK »

Scott-

I have a computer in another room that has a video out which is run to the input of a TV in another room (PC1) ...this computer downloads movies, music, etc. I'm attempting to control this PC remotely using Housebot, and running into some snags......lemme fill you in on what I've done, perhaps you have some insight.

I've downloaded winamp 2.91 on PC1, along with all of the plugins and codecs for various formats. I also downloaded BrowseAmp, which is a plugin I posted about yesterday...basically, it allows a user to control winamp on another computer via a browser. I have Housebot set to launch IE on a task (keypress to launch IE, then to minimize the remote), and go to the URL assigned to control Winamp. I then have winamp set to go fullscreen when a movie is played, then the TV switches inputs and WHAMMO, instant digital theater. However, this can get kind of sticky, when a webpage is controlling winamp.....especially since Id rather do it from within the GUI of the housebot remote.

Does Winamp control on the software remote allow for use and control on another computer? For example, if I place a winamp shortcut (or even the exe) in a place where I can get to it on a network (ie. \\PC1\shared\winamp.sco or \\PC1\shared\winamp.exe), can the software remote browse that directory, and incorportae it into the remote?

Id like to run winamp on another computer (PC1), as to take the pressure off of the computer running housebot (The server and remote run on the same computer), plus, the video out is on PC1, not the computer running housebot.

Any thoughts? Thanks Scott!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Michael,

Sounds like a neat setup. You can use the Directory Control on a Software Remote to browse any computer. Simply use UNC names instead of machine relative drives when configuring the Initial Directory. The UNC access is from the HouseBot machine, not the remote. So even if a Sofware Remote does not have UNC access, it will still work as long as the server does. If WinAmp can handle loading files with UNC names, you should be able to run WinAmp on the HouseBot machine.

Another thing to consider is running HouseBot on BOTH machines. Check out the Device Replicator Device. You could configure a minimal HouseBot on PC1 with only a WinAmp Device. On your other machine, you can setup the Device Replicator to replicate the WinAmp Device on PC1. This will allow you to control the WinAmp Device on PC1 from a Software Remote through the Device Replicator on the main PC.

I'm still not sure it will do everything you need. The WinAmp plugin was only designed to play audio. I've never looked at what is needed to effectively control the video player. It's probably no big deal, but you would need to let me know specifically what is required.

I looked at the BrowseAmp site. They are controlling WinAmp the same way as my plugin (that's why BrowseAmp is also a 2.x tool). I can probably glean some insight into the video control from the source they posted on their web site, if needed.

Scott
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

OK, I played with it a bit, and a thought occured: If I'm bi-passing the BrowseAmp plug in, and just using yours, I can run the program fine. As long as all of my media is below the initial folder the remote searches. Cool, no prob.

I am going on the assumption (eek) that the winamp controls, whether it be for audio or video are the same, therefor, a stop button press from within the remote will stop ANY media playing, effectively giving me basic controls over the video.

I dont suppsoe you know the syntax to send a command to winamp to go fullscreen? Or to change scale? (i.e. to fill screen, even if the aspect ratio isnt right, etc.) I know this isnt your realm, but I thought in writing the plugin, you may have stumbled across it. I suppose If there is a command line code, I could send that, however I dont have that option to send a command line when using your winamp control. Unless...I set up a task that runs the play command and sends a command line to go fullscreen, etc......is this possible?

More random thoughts :)

~Michael
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

Did some searching on the winamp2 forum, and there are several plugins to control winamp2 via command line. I suppose I can incorporate these commands into a task. Also, if you use the VidAmp plugin, there is an option to play fullscreen on startup of a video, so all you would have to do is launch the video and BOOM, done.

Not thta ya need to know this, but incase anyone else is looking for this info :)

~Michael