Housebot server/Host Address

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Housebot server/Host Address

Post by Steve Horn »

I just converted from dial-up to ADSL (yeehaa!) and as part of that process needed to convert all PCs on the network from static IP to DHCP. The firewall router assigns the IPs... and changes them. As a result, the Housbot remote has to be reconfigured to point to the changed IP of the server... every time the IP is reassigned, possibly daily. There may be a way to convert back to static IP, using the IP range that the router will accept - will need to research that a little more. But is there a way to reference the server's address in the remote's config that is more permanent. Maybe by using the server's MAC address?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

You may want to turn off DHCP on the PC's and use static IPs (that's what I do). Your router should be able to use NAT to manage all PCs through the IP assigned by the telco.

There's no way I know of to specify MAC addresses when connecting over the network.

The only other thing I can do easily is to allow you to specify a name (like horn_server.com) for the server in the SWRemote configuration (this is already on my list). However, this would require you to run a DNS server on your network.

A more elaborate solution would be for the client to send a UDP broadcast message to everything on the network looking for servers to respond. The responses could include server names and IP's that the SWRemote could connect to. Sounds cool, but it's a bit more than I want to commit to right now.

Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Scott, I haven't finished wading through the firewall instruction book yet, so I' m not sure if/how I can assign static IPs. Probably can but will need to explore more. After spending an hour yesterday with a Linksys tech in the Phillipines (he was, not me) getting the router to work with the modem, I'm hesitant to change anything. But I'll get over it. In the meantime I'll update the remote's serer IP as needed.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

Getting the PC's to use static IP's is a Network option on the PC, not the Router. You have to configure the PC's to NOT use DHCP and to use an IP. You have to choose an IP in the same sub-network as the router. Generally this means just consecutive IPs after the gateway address.

Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

yeah, I know. This router also has to be told not to be a DHCP server. Will get back to this adventure after I get a VPN to work net set up - virgin territory here.

thanks,
Steve
jchuchla

It sounds like your setup is similar to mine

Post by jchuchla »

You mention using a linksys router. I've found that these are the most user friendly and feature rich home routers available. I'm using the BEFSR41 but soon plan to upgrade to the model that is basically the same but includes wireless. My network is setup to use internal Static IPs. The external IP can be either static or dynamic (DHCP) I've found that even though comcast tells me that my IP from them is dynamic, I have it setup in my router as static. So long as you don't release it for a substantial length of time, you will always be issued the same IP every time it renews. (every 3 days). if your router is always on, this shouldn't be a problem for you. You can email me directly for help setting up your network. I'd be glad to help. [email protected]. I even run 3 different web server devices on my network all accessible from outside the local network (over the internet) my IP is resolved to the host hoec.org. and runs private FTP and WWW servers as well as a seperate public WWW server. http://www.hoec.org. It's all rather easy to set up.

Now if only Housebot had a web server that would serve up pages to any browser, i'd bring housebot to the forefront and abandon homeseer completely. Or, if there were a way to meld a external web server with housebot......hmmm.....i bet there is....time to research....

--Jon--