Remote Control Basics

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
blepore

Remote Control Basics

Post by blepore »

I want to automate my HTPC with a PDA. Housebot promises the plug in to do that someday. My question is, what hardware will I need to do this.

Obvioulsy the HTPC will be based on the software comands but, how do i control other IR and RF type devices like my AV Reciever?

There is no feedback (that i can see) to determine the actual mode these devices are in so, can they get out of sync?

Also, can i control my plasma via RS-232 for 2 way control?

Do i need to learn Girder to do this or will Housebot make this simpler?

Thanks -b
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Remote Control Basics

Post by ScottBot »

blepore wrote:...how do i control other IR and RF type devices like my AV Receiver?

HouseBot supports several type of IR transceivers (USB UIRT, Ocelot, SlinkE, Global Cache GC-100) that you can use to control IR devices. You will first have to 'teach' the device your remote control and then HouseBot (using the IR transceiver) can send the IR commands just as though they are coming from your remote.
There is no feedback (that i can see) to determine the actual mode these devices are in so, can they get out of sync?
It depends. If you control everything through the automation system, things will generally stay in-sync. Depending on the configuration, you may be able to initialize the equipment when commanding it from HouseBot by sending it specific IR commands to put it into a particular state. On/Off toggles are difficult. Sometimes you can find discrete on/off codes from Remote Central that you can use instead of the toggle.
Also, can i control my plasma via RS-232 for 2 way control?
HouseBot comes with a 'Generic Serial' plugin that allows you to send and receive using RS-232. Since the protocol for all RS-232 equipment is different, you have to configure the plugin with the specifics of the protocol for your Device, so you will need to get into the technical details of the protocol. If the Generic interface doesn't provide the functionality, you can write a custom plugin using the SDKs to drive/monitor the equipment.
Do i need to learn Girder to do this or will Housebot make this simpler?
The only reason that you might want to use Girder is if it has support/plugins for your equipment/Software and HouseBot doesn't. In that case, HouseBot has a Girder Bridge Device that allows Girder to be controlled from HouseBot. This, at least, helps integrate Girder into HouseBot to make control a bit easier.
Scott
blepore

Post by blepore »

So if I have the manufacturer remote control codes for my receiver and plasma, i can program those into your generic RS-232 plug-in?

Is Housebot easier to program macros and screens for controling from a PDA than Girder and/or NetRemote (ie wizard driven or large library of shared screens)?

I know the probable non-answer but, i'm asking anyway ;)

How far off is the Meedio plug in (days, weeks, months?)

Any plans for a bigger discount for members buying everything (Essentials, TV & Housebot)?

Thanks for the fast response. -b
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

blepore wrote:So if I have the manufacturer remote control codes for my receiver and plasma, i can program those into your generic RS-232 plug-in?
If you have the mfg remote, you can train the IR transceiver to control your IR equipment. You can't control the unit with RS-232 using the IR codes. However, if there is an RS-232 port on the unit, you should be able to find the RS-232 command protocol somewhere. Sometimes you have to go to the mfg web site, but sometimes it's in an appendix in the users manual. Using this info, you can configure the Generic Serial plugin to control via RS-232.
Is Housebot easier to program macros and screens for controling from a PDA than Girder and/or NetRemote (ie wizard driven or large library of shared screens)?
I can't give you the competitive comparison, since I don't use the other apps. However the screen designer in HouseBot is a drag and drop UI that allows you to select buttons, gauges, sliders, etc from a library of different skins. The macros are called Tasks and provide you with simple if/else type logic for doing various actions.
I know the probable non-answer but, i'm asking anyway ;)
How far off is the Meedio plug in (days, weeks, months?)

Any plans for a bigger discount for members buying everything (Essentials, TV & Housebot)?
Out of my area now... Alan?
Scott
wordgasm

Post by wordgasm »

I WANT MY MTV, with the big bundle discount! That $10 will reduce the overall cost of my HA/HTOC setup by about 1/10th of 1 % of the total cost!

And I want it now! :twisted: