How to set "Received Data Serial Device Destination&quo

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

How to set "Received Data Serial Device Destination&quo

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Now that I have more than one serial device and I'm starting to play with receiving and parsing data I need to set the "Received Data Serial Device Destination" property but I'm not exactly sure how it needs to be set. Do I just need to enter the device name for the corresponding Generic Serial Device?

-- Dave
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Scott,

I was hoping you would answer this - perhaps you missed it?

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Sorry, I guess it slipped past.

The Received Data Serial Device Definition Property specifies the Device Description to route the received data to. Setting this value to "All" will send the received data to any and all Serial Devices.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Ok - but what do I do for the case where I want the output to go to a *specific* device? I'm controlling both my A/V distribution system and a receiver via serial devices and I want to make sure any received data goes to the correct device. I don't see a *description* field associated with the device - only a name and comments.

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Sorry. I always mess up the whole Device Name/Description thing, since what they are in the code is actually different from the UI.

Use the Device Name.

The code for plugins uses device Name = Type and Description = Name. It's a sanity test. :wink:
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I figured that was the case but I wanted to be sure - thanks! :)