S/W remote behavior after device standby/sleep mode?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
loo_hoo_ser

S/W remote behavior after device standby/sleep mode?

Post by loo_hoo_ser »

Hi all,

I've noticed an issue with my software remotes on machines that tend to be put in standby mode. In my set up, I have various laptops and PPC devices that run the SW remote and when the machines are not in use, they are put in standby. When I wake them up, the SW remote complains that there is an invalid IP address. I do not quit the applications prior to entering standby mode, I'd like to leave them running and resume once the machine is awoken.

Interstingly, when the HB server attempts to send a message to an active SW remote session that has gone on standby, HB server generates an error message "send () failed: error 10054" and "send () failed: error 10053" for the client socket.

Is there a way I can alter my configuration so I don't get these error messages when my SW remote sessions resume after standby? Or is this an unresolved issue in the software that needs attention?

Thanks.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've not seen or heard of this particular problem. Can you give me more detail on the error from the SWRemote about the invalid IP address?

When the server looses connection with the remote, you should see the State shown in the Software Remotes view in HouseBot as Sleeping. If you are tracing, you may also get something like the socket send failure that you are seeing.

When the SWRemote comes out of standby, it should reconnect to the server again. This will take a moment (depending on the network speed), but it will normally happen without any errors.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

For whatever it's worth I frequently see errors when I wake up my ViewPad. I typically get one error and often two. From memory, the errors are 11001 and 10093 (these may be wrong - I'll get more details the next time it happens). I used to get the invalid IP address but I haven't seen that for a long time.

-- Dave
loo_hoo_ser

Post by loo_hoo_ser »

Scottbot,

I am not certain what is happening when. I notice this only on my laptop (Win XP-SP2) machines that have an 802.11b connection to the network. I need to wait for the error to occur on my PPC SWRemote - it does something similar - again, related to the sleeping and waking process.

After further thought, my thinking is that the laptop is waking up and starting to resume all the running applications that were open prior to the standby state, which includes the SWRemote. The network session to the wireless access point (router) has not been re-established so the SWRemote may be trying in vain to connect to the HB server before the wireless session is re-authenticated. Eventually, the wireless network is re-established but not before the SWRemote application complains that it cannot connect to the HB server.

Here is the error message that the client application produces, in a pop-up dialog box:

Client: Cannot resolve address [<HB server machine name>]: Error 0

where <HB server machine name> is the name of the HB server :).

It'd be nice if it didn't pop up anything at all for this kind of error message. Reason being is if it is normal for a machine to go to sleep and then wakeup temporarily without network access, then the error message is unnecessary unless repeated connections to the HB server are failing. It gets to be a pain to have to dismiss the dialog box by clicking on "OK" so the SWremote application can resume (it is frozen until "OK" is clicked).

I will do a little more investigative work and see if I can observe HB server behavior when the SW remote sessions go to sleep and wake up. The HB server is on a headless machine so I'll have to use a wired connection from another machine to remote-desktop login and watch the status information.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It does sound like it has something to do with the network layer not being fully initialized when the SWRemote is trying to reconnect. If you see this error, it should retry the connection every 1/2 second until successful.

Does the SWRemote finally connect and everything is OK? Is it just the error message that you would like to see removed?

Also, if you use the IP address instead of the machine name, the remote won't try and resolve the name to an IP address. This will save a bit of time on initialization and may (or may not) get around this error message.

Scott
Scott