Client on windows mobile 5

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Damokles

Client on windows mobile 5

Post by Damokles »

Hi everybody,
has anyone tried to run Housebot Client on a Win mobile 5 Handheld?

Thank you.
Best regards
Andrew
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Yep, my wife and I use it everyday on our ATT 8525 phones running WM5. I've also used it on a variety of WM-based PDAs. It works great.

Terry
Damokles

Post by Damokles »

:D
Thanks Terry that sounds great!
Damokles

Using VPN to control Housebot with WM5-Device

Post by Damokles »

Terry a nextquestion come along:
Do you use it also as a control via VPN Internet?

Thanks.
Andrew
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

I don't use VPN, but yes. I have a FreeBSD-based firewall (PFSense) through which I allow the subnet that my cellphone uses to access the NAT mapping to the HouseBot box.

Upon a TCP connection to that port a little snooping determines that the requester is a WM device and not someone trying to hack with a PC and allows entry. I also have a rather convoluted SWremote password. I run snort on the firewall and have never picked up any attempts on the HB port.

I have also ran PocketPuTTY on the WM device and tunneled the swremote through a ssh connection back to the server. That worked well too, but I rather enjoy simply selecting the "Home Control" icon on the phone and seconds later controlling my house. Plus, anything that required more than one step would never pass Wife-Approval. :wink:

There's no reason why a VPN connection wouldn't work. I've just never used it. Scott has done an awesome job with HB and the efficiency of the SWremotes. I was in South America (Colombia) last week and could access the house, view security cameras, change the sprinkler settings, and adjust the thermostat and music just as well as if I were back home, all from my phone.

Download the trial and give it a try if you haven't already, there's plenty of helpful people hanging out here if you run into problems.

Terry
Damokles

Post by Damokles »

:D :D
Once again Terry thank your for that accurate informations.

Andrew