PopUp Panel displaces on Windows start bar

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

PopUp Panel displaces on Windows start bar

Post by Richard Naninck »

I have a so called 'Now Playing' info Pop Panel which automatically pops through the enter list of most of my main panels. This pop panel is placed at the bottom of the screen. My screen res is XGA 1024x768. So lets say the pop panel is 130 pixels in height, the panel pops at 1024 - 130 pixels. All works well except sometimes when HouseBot starts an external program a dos window becomes visible for the duration of the start of the external program and also the windows taskbar appears. That last one produces the problem because the Now Playing pop panel sometimes gets redrawn (refreshed) not at the bottom of the XGA screen, but as low as the windows taskbar still remains visible. So 1024 - 130 - taskbar height. A switch of panels fixes it because the windows taskbar disappears (remote is on top) and the pop panel is refreshed as well. This problem is not easy to reproduce but it just looks bad because the pop panel overlays some part of the main panel where it shouldn't be. If screenshots are needed, please let me know. A workaround could (maybe) be to not display the windows taskbar by default (windows setting), but I don't want that. Maybe in the code you display panels as low as possible screen height - panel height whereas it should be resolution height or just hard coordinates. Possible the windows taskbar does something to the max screen height. Hope this makes sense...
Last edited by Richard Naninck on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

So do you think it's the dos window popping up that is the true source/fix of the problem? Or is it more related to the popup and you would see this behavior without the execute program?
Scott
Richard Naninck

Because of the dos window pop, the windows task bar becomes visible. That taskbar is the culprit I guess. I must do something the max allowable screen height and therefore the pop panel redraws at the wrong position. I am not even sure why the swremote redraws the pop panel because when executing an external program from housebot, the remote should stay on the same panel. This is where you come in.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Since you are showing the popup from an enter list, I'm assuming it is coming from an execute task action in the enter list?? If so, make sure that the task isn't somehow running again once your execute program is started.

And is this an 'execute program device' that is causing this where the SWRemote is on the same box as the server, or is this an 'execute application' call from a Task that is running on a remote SWRemote?
Scott
Richard Naninck

The server, swremote and programs to execute all run on the same PC. The enter list uses a task to open the pop panel. I wouldn't know why the task would run again. That would mean that the enter list triggers again after the execute program. But the root problem here is why the (refreshed) pop panel redraws on a different height on the screen and only sometimes and always the height above the windows task bar.
When it occurs again, I will grab some screenshots to clarify.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Are you sure the popup is being redrawn? Maybe the task bar is pushing it up ???
Scott
Richard Naninck

ScottBot wrote:Are you sure the popup is being redrawn? Maybe the task bar is pushing it up ???
I don't even think that the popup is being redrawn but for some reason it gets pushed up and most probably because of the taskbar. If that is the case, can you make it so that the windows taskbar can't do that anymore. It doesn't affect the main panel, only the popup.