Usbirt Help and Configuration

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
James D

Usbirt Help and Configuration

Post by James D »

I just received my Usbirt. Now I would like to have the help of all the forumer to help me configure this peice of hardware. I have looked at the help menu in HB for the configuration of IR device. But my mind in not comprehending the procedure.

I have a ir remote that controls my amp, dvd, etc. I point the ir remote at the usbirt and it blinks (i am presuming it is recognizes the ir signal). Now how do it make the HB learn the signal from my ir remote. I might be making this harder than it actually is. But hey that is LIFE. LOL
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

First click on the "More Configuration" button/item in the USB UIRT Hardware Interface screen. Then click the "Add" button and create IR code definitions for all of the individual codes you want to send/receive. You will give each code a name. The "Managing IR Codes" section of the USB UIRT online help gives a step-by-step on it. It's also important that when learning the IR codes you hold the remote about 3 inches from the USB UIRT.

When all of the codes have been learned, you have to create a new device definition for the equipment that you want to control with the USB UIRT. Checkout the online help for that if you don't know how, but the general idea is that you define the device properties and values and then associate the IR Code names that you created in the Hardware Interface with the property values. Then whenever the property changes to a particular value, the IR code(s) that are associated to it will be sent out the USB UIRT.
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

Hey Scott,

When I am adding a remote under the "Adding IR code," it asks me for a frequency. What is this?
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

This is the carrier frequency.
If you're not sure, use 38 KHz.

Setting your system to use the USB-UIRT is not straight-forward.
HB has a good online help that walks you through the process.
James D

Post by James D »

Hey Scott,

Under the Usbirt there is a new section Call "Zone" under add Ir Code. This might be a dumb question. What is that used for? And can you give me an example of how to use that feature.

Thank for all the help.

I used the on-line help and it helped. I was difficult to understand for an Ir new-bie like me. But push through it. And when you get through the other side of the tunnel, you will understand hopefully. As Richard always tells me "It is part of the Fun."

I had an issue with one piece of equipment of mine. I have an Ir switch which I am using to switch my audio and/or video. I used the Usbirt to switch with no response. I then thought I had did the installation, configuration, and testing wrong. I then found out that the Ir remote that came with the piece of equipment did not always work. Works about 80% of the time, or I have to press the input multiple times; like 5 times. So I suggest using your television remote or a reliable ir remote to do your testing especially for newbies.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you have an older USB UIRT, it doesn't make any difference. Newer units allow you to select which zone to send the code to.

There's more info on this feature here.
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

I looked at the post you requested Scott. I wanted to know that since I have the updated USB UIRT, can i hook up two of the same ir devices that have the same ir fequency. I have 2 of the same ir switching audio/ video boxes. And would like to have both of them function, if all possible. That would be Awesome. :D
James D

Post by James D »

I noticed in doing the headphone test in that site you refered me to Scott; I only hear the ir audiable signal only on zones Front, and Left Channel. The left channel under the Zone in HB plays on the left side of the headphones. The front Zone in HB plays on the right side of the headphones. The right channel under the Zone in HB plays nothing. It this correct?

I was thinking that I should not hear anything from the front. I could be wrong.
-AND-
The Right Channel I should hear right headphone
The Left Channel I should hear left headphone

But what do I know. I am still learning this program.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I believe that Richard had reported to me in the past that the front and right zones are reversed. I didn't want to make the change and mess up anybodies configuration, so I left it as is. I should probably figure out a way to fix it and make it backward compatible.... somehow.
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

Can't you just change the label under the Zone to indicate.....

Where it says right Channel ; label it Front
and
Where it says Front ; label it Right Channel

or is the label tied to the HB Database
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Well yea... if you want to do it the easy way. :wink:
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

I guess that will be something we can see on the next Version. Hint, Hint...
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Not sure which were wrong, but indeed two zones are reversed. I specifically address each zone as is and don't just burst IR to all zones. Just knowing this still makes it workable. It's just not in plain English but more like Chinglish;)

Scott; If you change this to the way it should be and make a note in the release notes I am happy to change my config accordingly. Either way is fine I suppose.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I just changed the labels in the configuration UI as James suggested. Pretty simply and won't mess up existing configurations.

I'm sure I would have thought of that solution. Yea, I'm sure I would have. :oops:
Last edited by ScottBot on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Now lets hope these are the right labels to change.
I can't find the email / post where this was discussed although I could simply test it.