Video cameras for Housebot use?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Hunraken

Video cameras for Housebot use?

Post by Hunraken »

Hi All,

I have Housebot running with RF motion detectors outside, and I'd like to have a motion alert trigger a task that captures a snapshot from one of my security cameras and stores it accordingly. Currently I have a set of Sony M1W cameras mounted around the home. Nice wireless cameras that provide a very good color image at a low cost. I have them mounted indoors and pointed out windows, which works great to watch my kids when they're outside, but I'd like to use them for security too. They actually allow recording and snapshots, but only through the app Sony provided. I can't find any documentation to query the camera directly.

Is anyone using a good network camera for this purpose? I'm looking for a relatively affordable solution, and the camera itself has to work well with sunlight, have wireless networking, and provide an interface where I can script a snapshot that can be captured within a second or two. Thanks,

Drew
bjlamarca

Re: Video cameras for Housebot use?

Post by bjlamarca »

Take a look at the SecurView cameras at Trendnet.com. Being using one as a baby cam. Have a lot of features including the ability to e-mail or load images to an ftp in response to motion. Come with pretty good software that allows you to monitor and record up to 16 cams. Also has RTSP which allows me to stream the camera to my Nokia n800 :). Maybe a way to take a snapshot of the stream when your motion detectors go off?
edgar

Re: Video cameras for Housebot use?

Post by edgar »

The Trendnet looks pretty good. Have you integrated them into HB yet? Web posts indicate the snapshot feature saves the image as XXXX.jpg where the fileanames are ever changing and not necessarily consistant. That would probably make a script a requisite for making this cam work with HB. Just wondering if you have done anything like that. Thanks for the lead on these little cams....I may have to pick one up.

v/r

Kevin